body#layout #main-top { display:none; } -->

Sunday 5 August 2007

Military: Why I would not enlist

First, let me give you my credentials. For decades, I have been – and still am – a staunch supporter of our military. We have the most superb military anywhere in history. Our military men are the best of the best. My father was a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and served in North Africa and Italy during World War II. Two of my sons have served in the military. One did nine years in the Marine Corps and left as a platoon sergeant.

For years, I have written and lectured in defense of our military. I have written many magazine pieces about the POWs we left behind in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Among them is “The Code,” including my interview with then Col. John Dramesi, who escaped in Vietnam. One of my novels is Perestroika Sunset, about a Soviet attempt to seize our government and country, using leftover Vietnam POWS as the unknowing pawns.

So I am certainly not using the war as an excuse, a subterfuge, to arrange our defeat, like the typical liberaloid Democrud. In any conflict, I want the U.S. to win, because, as General Douglas Macarthur said, “In war, there is no substitute for victory.” I am not antiwar, if there is a genuine reason for our country to fight one. I yield to no one in my love and respect for our military. Etherzone