body#layout #main-top { display:none; } -->

Thursday 15 February 2007

THOUGHT CRIME

US Professor, Writer In Prison For Thought Crimes
"Much of the government's evidence against me were speeches I gave, lectures I presented, articles I wrote, magazines I edited, books I owned, conferences I convened, rallies I attended, interviews I conducted, news I heard and websites no one accessed...In one instance, the evidence consisted of a conversation that one of my co-defendants had with me in his dream," he said. "It was reminiscent of the thought crime of Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty-Four.' The scary part was not that these were offered into evidence, but that a federal judge admitted them. That's why I am so proud of the jury, who acted as the free people that they were and saw through Big Brother's tactics.